Husband: John Galbreath Stewart
Wife: Pauline Lesnick
Buried: Unknown in Turtle Creek, Allegheny, Pennsylvania 10
Church Hill Cemetery
John Galbreath Stewart:
Biography: 1913, Indiana County, Pennsylvania 3
John G. Stewart [father of John Galbreath Stewart] was married to Mary McKee [...] Their children are as follows: [...] (5) John Galbreath, born May 22, 1887, was married Sept. 12, 1910, and has one child, Mary. [...]
Draft Registration: 05 June 1917, Wilkins Township, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; for World War I 4
Cause of Death: Heart attack while shoveling snow
Obituary: 1960, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania 5
Snow Shoveling Fatal To Man, 72
Funeral services were held Saturday for James [John] G. Stewart, 72, of 611 George street, Turtle Creek, who died of a heart attack last Wednesday, after collapsing while shoveling snow in front of his home.
Husband of the late Ida Pohl Stewart, he is survived by five children, Mary McWhinney, Della Shaughnessy, Letha Lotus, Ruth Voisin and John Stewart; a sister, Mary Spiker, 8 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren.
Obituary: 1960, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania 6
Snow Again Makes Roads Hazardous
Cinder and Salt Trucks Try to Keep Highways Passable
A fall of wet snow, measuring from 1 ½ to two inches, yesterday afternoon created hazardous driving conditions for homeward-bound Pittsburgh district residents.
Cinder and salt trucks where on duty trying to keep the roads passable and most main roads were in pretty good shape. However, secondary streets were slick and proved troublesome to those without snow tires or chains.
The snow was blamed for the death of John Stewart, 72, of 611 George Street, Turtle Creek, who collapsed while shoveling snow in front of his home. He was pronounced dead of a heart attack at 4:45 p.m. in Columbia Hospital, Wilkinsburg.
Snow Flurries Due Today
There was a possibility that warming temperatures might change the snow to rain late last night or early this morning.
The forecast for today called for cloudy weather with occasional light rain or drizzle. The high today is expected to be 38 degrees.
The temperature during the night was expected to go no lower than 31 degrees.
Obituary: 1960, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania 7
STEWART--James [John] G., on Wednesday, March 16, 1960, of 611 George St., Turtle Creek, husband of the late Ida Pohl; father of Mary McWhinney, Della Shaughnessy, Letha Lotus, Ruth Voisin and John Stewart; brother of Mary Spiker; also eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Friends received at the JOBE FUNERAL HOME, 125 Church St., Turtle Creek, where services will be held Saturday at 1 p.m.
Grave Marker: June 1961, Turtle Creek, Allegheny, Pennsylvania 8
Occupation: Coal Miner at WABCO
Individual Album: 9
- Joshua Thompson Stewart, Indiana County, Pennsylvania: Her People, Past and Present, 2 Volumes (Chicago, Illinois: J. H. Beers, 1913); digital images, The Internet Archive, Text Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/indianacountypen01stew: accessed. .
- US Government, World War I Draft Registration Cards, http://www.ancestry.com (January 2006) , Allegheny County, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1852387; Draft Board: 11.
- Joshua Thompson Stewart, Indiana County, Pennsylvania: Her People, Past and Present, 2 Volumes (Chicago, Illinois: J. H. Beers, 1913); digital images, The Internet Archive, Text Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/indianacountypen01stew: accessed. , downloaded; 9 December 2009; Page 704, John G. Stewart.
- "World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918," digital image, MyFamily.com, Inc., Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed); citing United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918: Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. M1509, 4,582 rolls. , downloaded; 31 August 2006; John Galbreath Stewart, Wilkins Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1852387, Draft Board: 11.
- Pittsburgh Area Newspaper, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. , Snow Shoveling Fatal To Man, 72; 1960.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, Pennsylvania. , Snow Again Makes Roads Hazardous; 17 March 1960; Volume 33, Number 196, Page 1, Column 2; News report on weather conditions.
- Ibid., Stewart, James G.; 18 March 1960; Volume 33, Number 197, Page 8, Column 7.
- "Photographs," Estate of John Ernest Voisin, Huntsville, Madison, Alabama. , Kodachrome Transparency of grave markers for John G. Stewart and Adelheid T. (Pohl) Stewart, June 1961; Turtle Creek, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
- Ibid., Kodachrome Transparency of John Galbreath Stewart, July 1959; Turtle Creek, Allegheny, Pennsylvania.
- Anderson, Gloria Louise (McWhinney), Correspondence from Anderson, Gloria , E-Mail March 18, 2003.
Citation: Mike Voisin, iSeeAncestors (http://iSeeAncestors.com/tree/groups/public/grpf8142.html : revised March 13, 2015), John Galbreath Stewart & Pauline Lesnick.
Revised: March 13, 2015
Copyright © 2000-2013 Mike Voisin. All rights reserved.