000836-02: Map, 1856
Detail showing a portion of Pine Township, Indiana, Pennsylvania from the Peelor map of 1856. Land formerly owned by John Stewart , approximately in the middle of the image, is marked "J. Stewart." In 1856, his son Major James Stewart  probably owned the property.
Armagh, Pennsylvania, bottom left, is included for reference and comparison with the 1817 Whiteside map. The future site of Dilltown, Pennsylvania is northeast of Armagh on Blacklick Creek. The Stewart property is north of that, at the head waters of Bracken's Run (not named), which is today Mardis Run.
This area was originally in Wheatfield Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. Indiana County, Pennsylvania formed in 1803. Pine Township incorporated in 1850 and became Buffington Township in 1867.
Source: "Indiana County, Pennsylvania 1856 Peelor Map," images, Carla A. Currie, Treasures of the Past (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~treasures/pa/indiana/maps/peelor1856/: downloaded 8 December 2009), Map of Indiana County, Pennsylvania; citing Map of Indiana County Pennsylvania from actual surveys by David Peelor. Published by William J. Barker, North Hector, New York, 1856.
Citation: Mike Voisin, iSeeAncestors (http://iSeeAncestors.com/tree/groups/public/media/si-00048-i249-09.html : revised January 26, 2017), Gallery.
Revised: January 26, 2017
Copyright © 2000-2017 Mike Voisin. All rights reserved.